- Create a directory and put the files you want to install into a directory tree under it (e.g. if you create a directory called [pkgname], files that you want in /usr/local/bin go in [pkgname]/usr/local/bin.
- Create a directory called [pkgname]/DEBIAN and put a file in it called 'control'. This can be as simple as:
Maintainer: Graham Jones (email@example.com)
Description: Test Debian Package
- Create a file called 'postinst' in DEBIAN. This will be executed when the package is installed. This can be
- echo "postinst works!!!!"
- Create the .deb package by doing
dpkg-deb --build [pkgname]
- Copy your new [pkgname].deb file into a new folder called repository.
- Run 'sudo dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip -9c > Packages.gz' in the repostitory directory.
- Upload the repository directory to your web server:
ncftpput -v -R -u maps3.org.uk -p
ftp.maps3.org.uk public_html/apt/ *
- Add the following to /etc/apt/sources.lst
deb http://apt.maps3.org.uk /
- Run sudo apt-get update
- Run sudo apt-cache search [pkgname] - should find your package.
- Run sudo apt-get install [pkgname] - should run your postinst script.