Sunday 22 February 2009

GPX Track Analyser

I have realised why I never finish anything - it is far too easy to get distracted by another little job.
This time my daughter asked me how far we had climbed after a very hilly bike ride on our holidays.
I was a bit disappointed that I could not give an instant answer, as I had a track log from my Garmin Etrex GPS device, which includes elevation data.
Therefore that evening I wrote a little program in Python to analyse GPX files and provide some basic statistics on the route - this can be found at http://code.google.com/p/wherewasi.

2 comments:

Davidrichfield said...

Well done! Useful script. If I think of any improvements, I'll let you know.

Graham Jones said...

I have noticed that this post gets quite a few hits as though people are searching for GPX analysers of some sort - If you let me know what you are looking for I can see about providing it - I am wondering about a web service to allow you to post a GPX file and get it analysed?