Sunday 7 March 2010

GPX Route Editor

I was trying to plan a family cycling trip in a rush this morning and struggling to find a map to
use (opencyclemap is no good because I like to go to un-mapped places so I can add them to the map).
I finally remembered that ages ago I wrote a little javascript application to display an Ordnance Survey map, and let you put route markers on it which you can then put onto a Garmin GPS receiver to use for navigation - I used that to record where I intended to go, so I knew where there was supposed to be a bridleway...
Anyway I thought I should add that program to my repository in case anyone else is interested. There are a few things to do to it - see the README file in the repository directory - The source code is in my ntmisc code repository under gpxedit.
You can find the program working at http://www.maps.webhop.net.

I will do a bit more work on this when I get chance. I always intended to convert it to OpenLayers rather than multimap's proprietary API, and at the moment you have to copy and paste the GPX file into a text editor to get around the irritating web browser security - need a way of getting around that - the simplest would be to add an 'echo' server side application that would allow you to download the GPX file from the server, but that feels like brute force and ignorance!

5 comments:

Ciaran said...

Are you aware of the OSMap Android application? It's a bit slow, but it's handy if you can't figure out where the footpath/bridleway disappears to.

Graham Jones said...

No - I hadn't seen that - I will have a look at it thank you!

Ciaran said...

Also, for pre-planning, don't overlook Google Earth with this OS overlay. You can then add a path over the top and save it. (It only saves kml, but you can convert to gpx if need be)

Ciaran said...

(P.S. That's not to say your editor isn't cool, because it is - just pointing out the Google Earth overlay in case you hadn't seen it)

Graham Jones said...

Ha - I hadn't thought of being offended!
Thanks for the pointer!