Friday 28 November 2008

autoconf / automake / aclocal

I am trying to build Music Player Daemon for the FreeCom MusicPal. I have written an output plugin that I think will drive the hardware, but now I am having trouble compiling this into the MPD source code. I have never really understood the GNU configure scripts (./configure and all that), so I have probably messed something up.
I have added new bits to configure.ac, Makefile.in etc. But now what do I do?

As far as I can tell from the simplest tutorial I can find suggests that I should just be able to edit configure.ac and Makefile.am then run autoconf, but it complains that the files are designed for automake version 1.6, and I have 1.10. The error suggests running aclocal, but this just leads to more errors....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be able to type 'autoreconf' to have it work out which aclocal, etc commands need to be issued. It is possible to install other versions of autoconf alongside the most recent one, and invoke as autoconf-1.6.

Good luck! I've also got a musicpal and hacking it is on my list of things to do :)

Graham Jones said...

I hadn't heard of autoreconf - I will look into that - I have never got on with the autoconf tools so should put some effort into learning it - I am still old fashioned and write Makefiles myself!

I have a "things to do list" problem too - hence diverting to the MediaMVP for a couple of weeks!